View Single Post
Old 07-31-20, 05:50 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I think the point is that you're already past the point of entering the curve at a safe/appropriate speed, in that situation, I'll take a rear tire slide over a front tire slide, def manageable and gives you a fighting chance of recovering, if the front tire slides you're going down. Going into the curve, front brake all the way, adjusting while in the curve, rear only, as always, ymmv. Also, for anyone who rides gravel, you learn to use your rear brake more for the same reason.

OP, I had a similar crash last year, but without the broken bones thankfully, but plenty of scars to remind me to listen to the voice in my head telling me to slow down. It did take a while to get comfortable descending again, just have to ease back into it, no need to push it.
Agreed rear brake better than front brake at that point given that it’s much easier to control a rear wheel slide.

However, I still think the best option at that point is no brake and use all the available coefficient of friction to steer and stay upright, rather than use up some of it braking, hastening the fall.

Sometimes when you’ve overcooked something, the answer is staying committed, rather than grabbing brake and bailing.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.