View Single Post
Old 08-04-20, 11:20 AM
VinceInSeattle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Wheel options for 126mm freewheel

Bike is a 1989 Trek 1200 aluminum w/ 126mm spacing. Sat in the garage for many years but I'm back riding now, just weekend rides on roads and paved trails. Shimano 105. 6-speed freewheel. Wheels are Matrix hubs and rims. Rear wheel is in bad shape, out of true. The nipples are so soft that I've stripped some of them - replaced a few, but it seems kind of hopeless. Building a wheel myself is out of my experience and toolkit.

Which of these options do you like?

1. Use the same hub and rim, new nipples, have a wheel builder tension and true it.

2. Have a new wheel built around the same hub after overhauling the hub, new rim, spokes, and nipples, old freewheel (which is not badly worn).

3. Buy a nice used freewheel hub on ebay, or a new freewheel hub, which don't seem to be common but can be found. Have a builder build a new wheel around it using the old freewheel.

4. Buy a uniglide freehub style hub with 126mm spacing, have a wheel built, will also need to buy a used cassette, would stick with 6 gears so as not to change the chain and derailleur.

What are your thoughts?