Old 08-10-20, 05:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4549 Post(s)
Liked 6,505 Times in 3,732 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
The wrong way start might crack a tight thread sometimes, but I wouldn't count on it. Might be worth a try on a Brit/iso threaded BB. It seems to work for Merziac.

BITD mechanics would tighten on fixed cups with a proper campy or VAR fixed cup tool, often with a breaker bar. I personally would only use a breaker on French and Italian threads, but some people went full gorilla on all of them. If the BB shell was faced and chased first, ain't going to be a lot of slack to even crack it if trying to loosen the wrong way.

I mention this mostly because some may be wondering why they are so hard to get off sometimes.
I honestly don't do it on purpose that often but it is an added benefit of this method not really having to worry about it, I do normally try to make sure I'm loosening to start with.

I think this is why this is the way to go, get it out everytime so the threads are clean and the cup is properly torqued after service and will come out like it should when it needs to down the road.

IF they have been properly serviced then this will not normally be such a problem.