Old 08-12-20, 02:38 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered some 32C GP5000 TLs (along with orange seal, some removable valve cores, tubeless stems, one of those syringe kits, an air shot... wow) and will give them a try. Hearing that the are a little more stout than the tubed version sold me on this. The width should be fine, I haven't rode anything wider than a 33c CX tire anyway, so this should be pretty close but roll a lot faster.

I've had a few different Challenge tires over the years and your description is exactly my experience. Their CX tubulars are amazing, but really expensive and last about 3 months.
I'll throw some caveats in here.

In the interest of safety (and high pressure) conti has gone very very conservative on the bead design - to the point that they are practically un-mountable on some rims. They are much, much tighter than the tubed version, and even tigher than some Schwalbe tubless. If you have rims that are slightly oversized, they may not go on. I'm thinking they would probably work on my DT swiss rims, but I put them on some hookless carbon rims (which must be slightly oversized) and for the first time in my life, I was defeated. Took them to a shop where it took two stronger guys over 30 minutes to mount the tires (they took it as a challenge!).

It says "hooked rims only" but I heard a conti engineer clarify that they are ok on hookless rims as long as you don't go over 5 bar. Doesn't matter what the tire is, I'm not going over 5 bar hookless - or really anything tubeless. I just can't seeing having a blowout at speed at high pressure and low volume.