View Single Post
Old 08-14-20, 02:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
Ya'll jumping to conclusions. I've never woken up feeling like I was "bonking" and I never stated I do. But if I don't eat and do a hard workout, expending half or more of my daily recommended calorie intake, there is a higher likelihood of "bonking" (or an even higher displeasure of feeling hungry), which is what I'm trying to avoid of the time.

Jeez. All I'm saying is I most of the time I prefer to eat before riding. Not carbing up. Not waking up depleted.
I was responding to your original statement, before you edited it:

Not eating before a ride? No, thanks. Riding in a state of bonk and having a delayed reaction to hazards/motorists is like driving drunk.
If you feel like I drew an unfair inference based on that, and that additional context is needed, then I apologize and will withdraw my comment. I agree with you that fasted riding for long periods at high intensities increase the likelihood of a bonk. I also hope that you will agree that many riders like myself safely and successfully employ fasted training. There's a growing body of literature on it: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6983467/