View Single Post
Old 08-19-20, 04:37 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Liked 2,814 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by duffer1960
I've been unable to use it so far. Ordered a bar mount and a 'universal mount' (that attaches to a GoPro mount, which I don't own but since it's the popular one, I want to be able to use). Have been trying to order these since I first received the thing but the universal mount showed out of stock. Then a month & a half ago, it showed as in stock & I went ahead and ordered, and they charged my card. Got an email from them that it was actually out of stock but would you like us to hold your order & ship it when it's available, after August 11, and I replied, 'ok'. So far (August 17), no further communication. I just sent them an email asking for an update. If they don't respond with a tracking number, I'm going to cancel the order, initiate a charge-back on my card. I regret buying this thing. Wasted $100.
Sorry to hear about the difficulties getting mounts. I lucked out, ordering stuff before the pandemic disrupted the supply chain.

I was planning to order Drift's new GoPro adapter mount, which would open things up to a lot more choices. But user reviews for the adapter indicate the dimensions aren't quite right and the interlocking "legs" don't quite mesh securely with standard GoPro mounts. Hopefully Drift will fix that problem. If so, they won't really need to offer any other mounts since there are already hundreds of mounts for the GoPro standard.

I suspect Drift intended only for its cameras to be mounted on motorcycle helmets and were caught off guard by the demand for more mounts. I've rigged up a standard Drift helmet mount onto the rear rack of my errand bike/hybrid, using Scotch mounting putty, a grayish-white stuff that's similar to Blue Tak gum, very versatile and strong for mounting hard-to-fit stuff. It doesn't look pretty but it works and I can record rear facing videos without any special mount. I've used the same trick to mount to my bicycle helmets, although I prefer to keep the weight off my head.