Old 08-19-20, 11:30 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2375 Post(s)
Liked 2,903 Times in 1,582 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
As A bicycle store owner/ mechanic for over 12 years, I find the term "a different rear sprocket to move the gears more correctly" disturbing. The mechanic is making up this terminology up. NEWSFLASH: there are no sprockets that will make your gears move more correctly. This is very similar to a car mechanic saying that your muffler bearings are shot! (in case you didn't know it, mufflers do not have bearings).
Originally Posted by squirtdad
not correct. freehwheels and cassettes have shaped and "ramped" teeth that help with shifting. These started about the same time indexing started. So the OP could certainly have a freewheel or cassette that is just straight teeth or an early version of shaped and ramped teeth and moving to newer, more evolved design can certainly improve shiffting
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
In 1994 8 speed would be a cassette. Not a chance Trek sold a bike with an 8 speed freewheel. Go take a look at a 1994 Trek catalog and see what bikes Trek offered with 8 speed and what 8 speed groups existed in 1994.

But since the OP’s bike doesn’t exist, we can pretend. Sure it’s an 8 speed Sachs Aris freewheel. It has gummed up shifters, probably brifters, or triggers. Or we can pretend they are 8 speed downtube shifters, bar ends, or thumbies.

It probably doesn’t matter since the OP might be tempted to spend $6000 on a new bike.

Should I buy a new tube for my bike or buy a new bike that already has a tube?

John

And a new wheel, all for $200.
not sure what you are going on about. I made a general statement noting that there is such a thing as a cassette or freewheel that makes shifting better (due to tooth designs, ramps, pins,etc) compared to those with straight teeth.

not sure how this got conflated to 8 speed sachs, etc. and agree 1984 was probably cassette....but wasn't talking about OP's bike

now back to OP

Is your bike rideable now? Assume no, so if you want a bike to ride it seems like the options are
  • Spend $200 with LBS and ride
  • Find a bike for $200 and ride......but will it be a better bike your bike will be with spending the $200?
  • Fix it up yourself for under $200