Old 08-21-20, 02:32 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Gladius
Are there any bags (top tube, frame bag) that attach to the water bottle braze-on hardpoints?
Seems like, in particular the ones just behind the stem are made exactly for this purpose, but I can't find anything specifically made for this purpose that don't include straps to wrap around the frame.
Seems like all the responses have been about "bento boxes" or the accessory bags on top of the top tube. Seems like your question was pretty clearly about half or full frame bags, not bentos. I've got a Rogue Panda custom full frame bag on my XL gravel bike with their bolt-on option - so it attaches via the braze-ons on the down tube and seat tube. In my XL size , it also comes with straps on the down tube near the head tube, and on the seat tube at the seatstay junction. Then laces up with shock cord on the top. So it's got two straps instead of the customary five or six.

[After biking across Catalina Island]

My girlfriend's gravel bike in M - she was jealous of my frame bag so we got her a Rogue Panda bolt-on full frame bag as well. In this smaller size it omits the seat tube strap, and just has one near the head tube. Honestly it would probably work fine with no straps at all. In size S I bet they don't include any straps.

I like my Rogue Panda bag but there are many custom makers who offer a bolt-on option. TBH it's purely aesthetic - there's no other real advantage to the lack of straps. I have a fully strap-on frame bag on a different bike, and it's definitely quicker to remove the strap-on bag than to fish around inside the bolt-on bag to remove the screws. For instance when taking Amtrak once for the return leg of a bike tour, the conductor loading the luggage car refused to touch my bike until I removed the empty frame bag for whatever reason. I only had a minute or so to get this done in a panic before the train left. Had this been the bolt on bag, I would not have made it in time.

(Amtrak and their weird and inconsistent bike policies are a totally different thread though)