View Single Post
Old 09-02-20, 09:44 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 332 Posts
First off, there is precedent that establishing prior behavior of a driver was considered by prosecutors. The Dr. Thompson case in Mandeville Canyon has had a high profile. https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...sentenced.html From that article: "Prosecutors said Thompson had a history of run-ins with bike riders, including a similar episode four months before the crash when two cyclists told police that the doctor tried to run them off the road and braked suddenly in front of them. Neither of the riders was injured."

It does appear that https://closecalldatabase.com/ is down; it has been that way for at least a couple of weeks. It provided a fairly complete set of fields. I don't know if any of the incidents posted were ever part of the chain of events that improved the behavior of a driver.

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
My cursory look at the website referenced by the OP mentions reporting on dangerous drivers but does not seem to have any procedure for doing so....
I test-drove "findbyplate.com" and it allows you to add a comment for a particular tag number. You have to enter your name and email. There is a drop-down menu for classification and it includes such options as "Safe Driver", "Dangerous Driver", "Amber Alert", and so on. There is then a field for a comment. I didn't try it, but it appears you can upload a photo or video file that will be associated with that tag number.

I think I used "close call" two or three times, always for clearly intentional, aggressive and dangerous actions with the license plate number established. I knew the odds of it helping to improve a driver's behavior was probably Powerball odds... but heck, I've bought 3 Powerball tickets in my life... so I do irrational things at times...

I have never tried calling 911 for a "close call". My experience with 911 on real problems has been so poor that I don't know if I want to go through it for a "close call"... well, I guess I'll have to if it is clearly way out of line.....

Last edited by flangehead; 09-02-20 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Clarify.
Likes For flangehead: