Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 286 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2218 Post(s)
Liked 4,750 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by igz
(...)

This is the big dilemma: my girlfriend REALLY isn’t comfortable with being down on the drops. It’s this catch 22 of loving her (first ever) bike, the look, the feel, the 80s frame, the handlebar... while also feeling unsafe without the suicide levers. She doesn’t even ride on the hoods yet (still getting there). I’ve read that even taking suicides off and installing additional small regular type breaks (while keeping the handlebar and original brakes) = the same problem in terms of two locations pulling on one brake wire. I don’t know how to possibly work around her having that safety, while also avoiding the crappy-ness of a suicide lever setup.
(...)
While I understand the dislike of extension levers, I think calling them suicide levers doesn't do the concept justice.

I faced the same dilemma with my girl when getting her acquainted with drop bars and spent quite a few days trying various sets of levers from Weinmann, Altenburger, Dia-Compe and Shimano. The biggest problem with most of them was not so much the flex, but that they did not line up with the top of the bars, which means squeezing them felt awkward and ineffective.

I finally settled for these Shimano DEL-80 levers. They do line up nicely, have very little play and don't flex at all. Once properly adjusted I was pleasantly surprised by how solid they feel and how well they work when on the tops or ramps. Mrs non-fixie is very happy with them.

Likes For non-fixie: