View Single Post
Old 09-23-20, 03:46 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
And I get that, too. Not everyone is comfortable with it.

FWIW, I hauled both a CF road bike and Al MTB 40K-50K miles with no issues. This included 6 trips across the country plus 3 summers living on the road with the bike basically living on the racks for 2 months. But I was pretty careful about how they hung.
Carbon to me is stange. I put a big crack in the top tube of my Cinelli by just having the bike fall about 18 inches onto a stand. Could not believe it when it happened. Was talking to a guy from the local shop on Sunday and they just did the exact same thing to a $3500 Bianchi frame. It seems to be that when carbon breaks, it often does not require much force at all and does so shockingly easily. I am now paranoid after this one event.

With that said, I have ridden with people who have big cracks in their bike frame - some right at the top tube/head tube junction! - and the say they have been riding the bike for years in that condition. There is also a local guy that has a Santa Cruz with a broken seat stay that he "home" repaired, which honestly looks like crap, but he hucks that thing and it looks to have held up for over a year.

I also have an Ibis Ripley and I treat it like any other MTB. Crash into things, lean it against everything and it is perfect. I honestly think my Turner will break before that thing.