View Single Post
Old 09-28-20, 02:16 PM
donaldp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
It's hard to beat cold-drawn seamless tubes for strength-to-weight ratio. This is why you see them used in roll-cages. What Thyssenkrupp are doing is a great way to mass-produce car bodies where strength to weight is important, especially as crash-testing and emissions-testing both become stricter, but not such a high priority. It is certainly impressive that they are now in the ballpark where they can make a bike frame but I doubt it's actually as good. All this stuff about how you can design the structure to be stiff where you need it etc. is something you say if your method of manufacture happens to allow that but I doubt it's significant enough to make up for the difference in wall thickness and weight.
I see a lot if reference to Thyssenkrup and wonder, do they make bikes, or just steel? I work for I/N Kote and we make the finest finished steel for autos at least in the us of a. Our high strength for honda door frames for instance I have wondered if it would make a good bike frame.