View Single Post
Old 10-05-20, 12:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10636 Post(s)
Liked 12,280 Times in 6,289 Posts
Originally Posted by Snowflake6
Someone went somewhere they weren't expected to be. Given that the person passing had a good view of your wife all the way up until passing, and your wife only saw them at the last minute, I know where i'd place my bet.

Others have said it before and it bears truth in my neck of the woods: Saying "on your left" makes half the riders/walkers move left. Ringing a bell startles people and again you get a 50-50 chance that they'll move into your path. The safest thing is to wait until there's room to pass with a wide berth and a reasonable speed differential.
Exactly. If you give a wide berth, it's really hard for someone to startle SO MUCH that they run into you. And bells and 'on your left' both often startle people. I depend on buzzing freewheel, and noisy breathing to announce my presence and then give a wide berth - especially these days!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles