View Single Post
Old 10-05-20, 10:16 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Don.johnson
Thanks for your comments. After these few posts, I think I am in agreement with you and am now going to focus on the Hybrid.

Now, if finding a brand at a good starter price were so easy....
What do you consider a good starter price? For my parents a few years ago Raleigh had the best bike in my opinion for a really good hybrid but its msrp was 1100; I bought two for my parents and the only thing I changed was the stem to this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which was a simple job. Major pluses was 1x11 speed with hydraulic disc brakes. Although I don't have a particular affinity to any 1x system I do think that older, less experienced adults who want to ride recreationally should be a real target audience.
Having sold bikes to people for years who hardly rode through their 30s-50s and wanted to get back into it for fitness discovering that bikes had 21-27 speeds instead of 10 was daunting to many. A 1x11 system means only 2 levers at one hand, one lever makes it easier to go up hills and the other lever helps you go faster. Hydraulic brakes are a bonus as they really are low maintenance and stop well.
Unfortunately the Raleigh was dinscontinued but I'm sure there are plenty like it but unfortunately expect to pay a similar price though I believe it to be worth it.