Thread: 12 spd upgrade
View Single Post
Old 10-07-20, 07:06 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Liked 2,571 Times in 1,451 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
For me it's mostly a non issue, except when I want to go fast on flat terrain and can't find a comfortable cadence between the 10t and 12t sprocket. Also it's a PITA on the ocassional downhill on paved roads or really smooth doubletrack where it's impossible to pedal at more than 40km/h.

It's not a dealbreaker, but a 20 year old 3x9 didn't have this issues.
Huh. 20 years ago I had already ditched the big ring from my 3x9 mtb setup. Only time I miss anything higher than 32/11 is going downhill on pavement or a smooth gravel road. Otherwise, anytime I am going fast enough to spin out 32/11, it is steep enough that my speed is determined by my braking, not my pedaling. I am sure there have been exceptions to this, but it is not something I would ever make an equipment change over.

Out of curiosity, what size ring and cassette are you running?

I can see that 1x is not ideal for people needing wider range and tighter spacing.... and every gear that can be added to the cassette makes the switch more doable. For me that could have happened with 9 speed if they had made 11-46 cassettes back in the day. For others, it may take 11, 12, or more to make it work.

Last edited by Kapusta; 10-07-20 at 07:23 AM.