View Single Post
Old 10-09-20, 12:49 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1969 Raleigh Superbe: 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold), 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Liked 1,019 Times in 697 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubra
Converting an older 1980's Univerga with downtube Suntour shifters to upright bars for housemate. She is a everyday rider, but would love to have indexed just because she is just "not mechanical". Is there such a thing? I see el cheapos online, but hoping you guys/gals will steer me in the right direction. 22.2 handlebars. Thanks for your help. Cheers!
I'm not the definitive expert on this, but I think Suntour's only indexing was Accushift, which will need the specially spaced freewheels and cassettes for 'perfect' indexing. They had 6 and 7 speed indexed thumbies for ATB's, but without that idiomatic spacing, you're probably only going to get mediocre indexed shifting.

Second Edit:
You said Suntour, and I automatically assumed you wanted to stick with them. Unless you're using an Accushift cluster, there's no need to stick with them. It's probable that modern "el-cheapo" will accomplish the task just as well as a 6 speed-era Shimano indexed thumbie (if such a thing was made).

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 10-09-20 at 12:52 PM.
Likes For Unca_Sam: