View Single Post
Old 10-09-20, 01:34 PM
Nubra

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
I'm not the definitive expert on this, but I think Suntour's only indexing was Accushift, which will need the specially spaced freewheels and cassettes for 'perfect' indexing. They had 6 and 7 speed indexed thumbies for ATB's, but without that idiomatic spacing, you're probably only going to get mediocre indexed shifting.

Second Edit:
You said Suntour, and I automatically assumed you wanted to stick with them. Unless you're using an Accushift cluster, there's no need to stick with them. It's probable that modern "el-cheapo" will accomplish the task just as well as a 6 speed-era Shimano indexed thumbie (if such a thing was made).
Originally Posted by dweenk
^^^^^ What Unca Sam said. If the bike has standard spaced cogs, Sram or Shimano indexing thumbies should work. Specially spaced cogs will be an endless frustration for her unless she has the compatible shifters.
Hey Unca and dweenk,

I don't see any reference to Accushift on the downtube shifters, and the rear mech has no decals, only a "SUNTOUR" stamped on the front. Rear mech is also the open style, short cage that you can pull the chain out of with out opening the chain. Cluster is the impossible to wear out, 14-32 square edged cogs inscibed with "Suntour, Perfect,(in Italics) Made in Japan".
I think this means it is NOT Accushift. I can post photos if there is any question. Would be delighted to not have to put another derailluer and cluster on the back if "el cheapos" or even some nice old "non accushift" Shimanos will work.
THANKS and I will watch for response.
Cheers!