View Single Post
Old 10-17-20, 08:39 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 425 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Dan if I may ask could you still run with the hip replacement? Most say no but I know a few runners who have returned or at least to some running. I broke a hip riding 5 years ago but was lucky it was not displaced and 3 screws took care of it. I went back to running in 16 weeks but frankly my runners dystonia keeps me in a mess most of the time. I can run at times but it is a challenge. It is almost like I sprint for 200 meters then walk 50 and repeat.
Mark,
The surgeon that did my hip replacement told me to not run anymore. As you know...the artificial is a mechanical device...not biomechanical. So the more you run on it, the quicker it will wear out (and require another hip surgery). But of course it's hard to keep a lifelong runner down. So, I returned to a little bit of running. Really only 4-6 miles once or twice per week. That's all I really want to be able to so that I can jog in some of the local road races that I've participated in for years. I've also been a triathlete for decades and would still like to be able to do a sprint tri now and then. For a while I was participating in discussions on a website called https://www.hiprunner.com/. Obviously a discussion forum for runners with artificial hips. There are several people active on that site that have returned to running Marathons, and even ultras after hip replacement.

Dan