Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Ok, so to address some of the points made in this thread:
  • Riding FG makes you a better rider due to gearing whicb is sub-optimal in many cases: the same goes for SS (remember what was the topic of this thread)
  • Riding FG makes you a better rider because it trains muscle groups that don't get used as much on a bike with a freehub: obviously applies just to being a better rider on FG, not overall, since said muscles aren't used on a non-fixed bike
  • Riding FG is fun: can't argue with that, everyone should ride whatever makes them happy
Similar points and advantages cited in this thread for riding a sub-optimal feature free bicycle could also be cited for riding heavy old bicycles, especially of the so-called clunker/BSO type so often derided on this list, when equipped with heavy fenders, kickstand, chainguard, horns, lights, baskets, and a rack; lots of effort and calories burned. Good "training of muscle groups" for riding other heavy old (or new) bicycles with a department store provenance. Even better if the basket and racks are used for carrying cinder blocks, full cases of beer and other heavy loads at all times. Toting an extra passenger is good training too! And may even have additional social advantages.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike: