Old 12-02-20, 05:31 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Are the female threads plastic or metal? I have never seen one of these in the flesh but I'm pretty sure either way it could be repaired with possibly a "threadsert" repair kit for metal or a good quality plastic filler for plastic car and motorcycle body parts which would require drilling and tapping new threads. First you could also heat up a proper sized threaded bolt and try to melt new threads into place. May be a little tricky but possible.
It seems like a sleeve of metal threads bonded to the plastic shifter body, but they might be hard plastic. But with a 5 N-m torque spec, they seem like they have to be metal?

It’s hard to tell because there is a light coating of hydraulic fluid in the opening now. I don’t have a ton of experience with hydraulic brakes, so this is a new level of frustration for me. I’m a 1990’s bike shop mechanic.

the other issues is that there is a termination point for the hose that is designed to crush the brass “olive” on to the hose when the bolt is tightened. So I’m not sure I can do much with repair compounds or re-tapping without affecting this area.