View Single Post
Old 12-10-20, 12:19 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Oh man, why do I miss all the good threads?

Originally Posted by unterhausen
The true expertise in teaching framebuilding is in the U.S., as is the bulk of the framebuilding talent in the world.
Debatable. Very debatable.

Originally Posted by EamonPVD
you had a page and a half reply to my short OP asking one question... its called over stepping. And you are doing it well.
As others have said, based on your responses here not only is a frame building class in Italy (and perhaps elsewhere) most likely not for you, I'd wager you might be frustrated by a simple trip to Italy as well. Cause, you know, they don't place the highest priority on things like good wifi in every shop, or all the modern conveniences wherever you go. Plus, as others mentioned, everything is in Italian, so...

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
This means that the instruction has to be sharp with good presentations and demonstrations well organized to cram it all in. There is an awful lot to learn...They are going to be better organized for beginner instruction than a master showing how it is done. Knowing common beginner mistakes and how to correct them really shortens the learning curve.
This.

Having spent a fair amount of time living and working in Italy (and yes, I speak Italian fluently), if you want to learn from one of the masters, it's mostly likely going to be a 'sit there and watch me work,' type of learning experience. If you already have a baseline of knowledge, it could be helpful, but it's not likely to be comprehensive or particularly interactive. You see, you would likely be dealing with someone that believes it takes many years to become competent in the trade, and so the idea of learning something in a "class" or brief period of time (because yes, weeks or months will be brief to them) will be more or less laughable to them.

All of that said, I have seen some things on the internet that could be compared to trade school courses. There aren't many details, but it would be more straightforward instruction (as opposed to something like an apprenticeship) aimed at getting the basics down. Of course it would be strictly in Italy, be over a longer span of time (months), and it may not even be open to non-Italians.