Old 12-22-20, 07:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3917 Post(s)
Liked 1,973 Times in 1,408 Posts
Our tandem team weight is 283 + the extra tandem bike weight, maybe another 12 lbs. We run a true 28mm tire at about the OP's pressure, never a problem. We run a true 32mm at 95. That latter combo produces essentially the same pressure on the rim and ride comfort as the OP's tire and pressure. It's just a matter of choice and usually fork model. We've toured on 28mm at 115, no problem other than it was a bit rough on the cobbles. I agree about the pinch flats, but guess that the OP could run a little less pressure, but it's all fine if he doesn't want to do that. It's one thing to talk big and quite another to be responsible for someone hitting a pothole on a descent and pinch flatting. Our tandem with those pressures will roll right over one without a problem, not a huge one, but good sized. Have done. They're not easy to see in mottled light. A riding buddy of mine pinch flatted on an unseen pothole, went down, and was badly injured.

All that said, I wouldn't run a tire at greater than max sidewall pressure and haven't. IMO&E max tire pressures are associated with tire width in such a way that their combination will not produce a greater force than a rim in fair condition will tolerate.

I've also had tires with unexplained cord breakage producing weird tire shapes at much lower pressures on a single bike, old Conti tires not made anymore.