View Single Post
Old 12-30-20, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4524 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
This is not a joke thread.

I know nothing of what can possibly be done to save this wheel so I’m simply asking a question.
Uh Oh I was really hoping you were making a joke...I get it beloved part don't want to lose it but sometimes you have to let it go.

Even if not separated it wouldn't be safe to ride it and again would you really want to ride on a vintage aluminum rim someone had straightened out 50 years later after how many miles (or kilometers) and stress loads it has gone through? Your life is way more worthwhile than some old rim on a Peugeot even with a cool story and provenance. Heck even if it had been used by Eddy Merckx himself when he was on the Peugeot BP Michelin Team it would still not be worth risking your life over. Use it as a cool wall hanger, stay safe and stay alive.

The newer Mavic rim will be excellent and you will have a good story to tell and live to tell it albeit in some good pain right now.