Old 01-04-21, 03:18 AM
Axel.se

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Found this thread when I was looking into how to make the MSW I have been using since summer work better during cold weather.

I was going to try the below mixture and first thought I should use a paraffin lamp oil so measured up 165g (have 370g of wax) of that oil and then decided that wait a minute this one is really runny maybe I should use the white mineral oil(also paraffin oil) for oiling cutting boards so measured 165g of that one and the cutting board oil was only 2/3 of the volume of the lamp oil for the same weight, so I wonder if you happens to know or are able to measure the volume of 200g (or any other weight) of the oil you have been using as different oils seem to differ massively in density?

I also thought that I might ask if you have done any other interesting discoveries regarding chain wax for winter use?

Originally Posted by t1k
I've been quiet for a few days. Mainly because my current waxing mix works quite well.

If anyone is interested, the composition of the mix is 450 gram of food grade paraffin, 200 gram of paraffin oil and 170 gram of bee wax.
The mix is much thinner than pure paraffin, which helps with the chain stiffness and chain skipping issues in cold weather. I've been riding on a waxed chain for a week. About 110 km (~70 miles).
Mostly dry conditions and temperature ranging from +5C to -15C (41-5F). One thing that I'd like to improve with the mix is it's adhesion properties. It doesn't stick to the chain as well as pure paraffin.
I will try to add a bit more bee wax to the mix to improve that aspect. The mix also feels a bit oily to the touch but does not attract any dirt to the chain.