Old 01-08-21, 08:03 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 529 Posts
Modern touring wheelset with dyno hub - what can you recommend?

Looking to invest in a modern wheelset to use on a few different frames, but will go on my Voyageur first. Much of my daily riding is done at night, and so a dynamo light makes sense to me for various reasons (quality of light, the issue of always having to charge, front bag blocking light if light is mounted on bars etc). More camping and light touring are also in my future this year.

For the light, based on aesthetics and reading lots of reviews the SON Edelux II makes sense to me. For rims, CR18 36 spoke (I'm assuming the advent of newer wheel technology renders needing 40 spokes obsolete?) also seem to fit the bill for price/quality/aesthetics but I'm open to anything else. Where I'm stuck is front and rear hubs. Dyno hubs seem to vary wildly in price and I'm not sure on how they do or don't interface with various lights and what to look out for.

Last thing, no way I'm building these myself, so hoping to find a solution where the whole wheelset can be purchased ready to go, but will have a LBS build them for me if need be.

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by polymorphself; 01-08-21 at 08:43 PM.