Old 01-17-21, 07:38 PM
2fat2fly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
Night and day
I did some final adjustments, added the front brake cable, and gave the whole bike a coat of wax. I took it for an hour long ride this afternoon. The bike really rides nice,
I think I like the idea of it being a single speed. Maybe if I find a good rear rim to build it'll be a single speed coaster and I'll add another caliper?
The tires are old, but they survived, and will likely survive till I do something about the wheels. For now its ridable and looks a lot better than it did when I dragged it home. With the roughness on the front rim, the old John Bull pads stop pretty well now once it took off the petrified layer of rubber.
The getting the chainguard to fit right too some doing, I had trouble getting it far enough inward to not rub the cranks or chain.I suppose the Komet hub doesn't give the same chain line as an AW hub, but the sprocket is flipped outward and there's not much room for it to move any further outward. As it is now I had to file a bit off the rear cg screw on the inside so it didn't rub the chain. I managed to get it to ride pretty much dead center down the middle of the CG with about 1/8" of crank arm clearance.
If I find the right colors, maybe in a paint pen, I'll re-colorize the headbadge and fender badge too, The brass polished up pretty decent. Most of the blue is gone from the vertical bar section of the badges.
If the rear rim wasn't just pitted bare steel the thing would really look good even up close, but even so it looks pretty good as it is compared to what I started with just over 2 weeks ago.

For now I'm going to consider it done and use it till either I find a better set of wheels or I trade it for something I like better.
The only problem is the amount of time I've got in it, far more than the thing is worth, but the good thing is it didn't take much out of pocket, maybe $120 total counting buying the bike.

Likes For 2fat2fly: