Old 01-22-21, 02:02 PM
epdarks

Bikes: various

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I'm very intrigued by these. Regarding the spokes inside, from your pictures of the rear wheel it looks like all the spokes run along the inside of the flange, can you tell if they are crossed on the inside? I'm wondering what is being used to transfer the torsional load from the cog to the rim. Traditionally that's the trailing spokes' job but I wonder if there's some kind of hybrid system going on here. All the spokes on one side seems to imply radial lacing which does a terrible job at transferring torque.

If you decide that you don't want to ride them, I'd love to see what's inside!

If anything, you might get some funky hub parts to keep on your desk

Also, regarding their safety, I'm not sure I would trust the front blindly, but as for the rear...I would have a hard time not throwing it on for a quick little spin. It's just the rear wheel, a failure probably won't be that big of a deal... Just wear a helmet and run a front brake
They do cross, and the spokes to connect to both sides of the hub. Also, the hub has a HED logo. Did my best to take some photos.

I've been told that these carbon discs from HED do not rely on the carbon for any structural strength but rather simply aerodynamic gain. I know it's possible to remove the carbon and end up with a normal functioning aluminum wheel, at least on some of the HED products.