View Single Post
Old 02-17-21, 10:22 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 448 Posts
Seems like you're making this too difficult. The simple equation really is simple. It's just twice the chain stay length plus the total of maximum wrap divided by 4.

One thing to keep in mind is that it requires 4T of additional sprocket to use an entire inch of chain. If you change from a 33 to a 36 max sprocket, it will most likely need an extra inch of chain, unless your current setup has an additional 1/4 of chain length to spare. That's where the formulas come in handy, but only if you know the exact chain stay length. Another thing to remember is that the big/big plus 1 inch method is the minimum length needed. If 2 inches are added, the worst that can happen is the lower section of chain will hang loose in the little/little combo. If you're using SRAM AXS, it's best to start with the chain too long and only remove 1 inch if needed. I've reused the AXS quick links many times and not had a problem, but I also keep extra links on hand. If it makes you nervous to reuse a link, sacrifice one and mark it for the next time you need to test a chain length. Any old 11 speed link will also work, just for a test on the work stand. I have one that I use, just for this purpose.

If the chain length is set for a 36T sprocket, it is not necessary to shorten the chain to use a 33T max sprocket. The B screw position should be adjusted though.

FWIW, with 415mm chain stays, a 54 inch chain will barely wrap a 46 chain ring and the 36T sprocket. The simple equation yields a 54.17 inch calculated length. Park says to round down if the result is less than 54.5. I use a 55 inch chain, because the equation suggests more than 54 inches with 415mm stays and a 46/30 crank. Only the 30/11 combo is too loose to use, but I never go smaller than the 13. I can change to a 48/32 crank with the same chain length and not have to worry about it being too short. The absolute maximum wrap capacity of any derailleur depends on the chain stay length. A perfect length will have 3T more wrap than the worst case. The advertised wrap capacity has to account for the worst case length, where 1 inch of chain length is added, just to cover the need for 1/4 inch.

For those who don't know how many links are on their chain, lay it out on a table and measure the entire length, between pin centers, including the quick link. A 55 inch chain has 110 links, since the chain pitch is 0.5 inch. There is never a need to count links.
Likes For DaveSSS: