Thread: Keeper?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-21, 11:54 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
You mentioned reading the tubular thread. If you do you will see all the various methods. It just becomes a personal choice.

My choices changed over time. Started with Tufos and Tufo tape for a low cost entry point. Easy to use but found it very very hard to change a tire and would never attempt it on the road. Quit using tape and relegated my Tufos to spares since I did not like their ride.

I now use Veloflex and Vittoria. Not the most expensive tires but still up there. I decided if I am going to do this I wanted to enjoy the ride.

And I learned to fix a flat the traditional way. Not a big deal especially if you have sail stitching experience.

If I flat now I just swap in a spare to get home. Later I glue on a good tire. I did try Vittoria Pit Stop till I almost got stranded. I’ve only flatted three times. I have more peace of mind changing out a tire and not worrying if the sealant will hold. It’s easier than fixing a clincher flat.

Last edited by obuckler; 02-18-21 at 12:03 AM.
Likes For obuckler: