Thread: Best panniers.
View Single Post
Old 02-24-21, 06:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3509 Post(s)
Liked 1,492 Times in 1,165 Posts
Looking at this thread you would think that Ortliebs only come in yellow. So, I figured I should post a photo of a bike that a friend tours on.

His Ortliebs are the City version, different closure, lacks some internal stuff, a bit lighter and a bit cheaper. You might have noticed that I often strap some rain gear or other clothing on top of my front panniers, but the City version that my friend owns lacks those straps.

There was mention of the multi-pockets on some Arkels above. A friend of mine has crossed USA twice plus several other trips with his Arkels, photo below. But he always puts the rain covers on them, even on sunny days. His are red, the rain covers protects them from UV so his panniers look brand new under the rain covers, but his red handlebar bag faded really badly in the sun.

On the Ortliebs, some people have noted that the inserts in the hooks that are used to fit the hooks better to the diameter of the rack tubing can fall out. I do not use the inserts at all, instead I used some clear plastic tubing from teh hardware store (3/8 ID, 1/2 OD, slit lengthwise) to protect my rack from chaffing, see photo below.

In the photo I used electrical tape around the plastic tubing, since then I have added some zip ties and use less tape now.