Old 02-26-21, 07:57 AM
staehpj1

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1261 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Looking to get some panniers, front and rear. I’m wanting a set that can take me from a weekend trip to a cross country trip And also last for years. Waterproof is a must. I’m looking at the Ortlieb Roller Classics but was wondering what you all thought. Thanks
Sounds like you already bought what you want, but I pipe up with some comments. You may of may not find some of this is true for you as you go along in your touring career.

The weekend vs cross country thing I have found to be moot. After much tinkering with optimizing of packing lists I have found that I take exactly the same stuff regardless of trip length. Season and location make some difference, but once I got my gear really dialed in even those made way less difference than you might think unless you start talking real winter camping. Also if you really want to you can adjust what you carry over the course of a multi month tour. I pack super light, but and just take the same gear regardless of trip length with only a little concession for the specific trip. The same can be done for whatever packing style you choose from super light to super heavy.

On the waterproof thing... I have found that it is often more important to choose between the one big envelope versus a bunch of pockets. I like one big compartment if I am using panniers (and yes I like waterproof). That said I have found that I like tinkering with alternate packing options using bar rolls, dry bags, and other unusual options. I find that some very small ultrasil stuff sacks in the main bag help organize and separate items. I color code them and size them so that I can pack items tightly enough that they are compressed.

I am kind of glad I bought VERY inexpensive nashbar panniers when I was packing heavy. They held up okay and I didn't regret buying big $$$ ones when I stated packing lighter and lighter and didn't need the capacity any more. I have since crossed the country with 14# of UL backpacking gear without using any bike specific bags, but still might use the small nashbar front panniers. I doubt, I'll ever use the big panniers again unless it is for errands like shopping at home. When I started touring it never occurred to me that would happen.

The panniers you chose are nice ones and will most likely suit your needs for years to come.