View Single Post
Old 04-22-21, 04:55 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Each to his own taste, but if I had that classic looking (1980s?) frame, I'd keep it as it is, put a decent saddle and pedals on it and some traditional-looking wheels. That frame is crying out for plain aluminium rims with a shallow section.

If I had to choose from the colour options you've posted, I might go for the blue one at the bottom, but as Rolla commented, white can be difficult to keep clean.

The bike has 2 period features I'd get rid of. First, the outer guard on the chainset. Those were ugly and impractical at the time, and if the chain comes off it can jam between the cog and the guard. Second, the disc that is there to keep the rear mech out of the spokes. You don't need it for fixed/single, and if you have derailleurs, get decent ones and adjust them right.

I was never impressed by the idea of gear levers on the stem. My first few-derailleur equipped bikes had down tube-mounted friction shifters and I still prefer that to all the modern nadgery and gimmickry of clickity stop levers, for a low maintenance bike that isn't going to be raced.
Likes For Mikefule: