View Single Post
Old 05-14-21, 07:17 PM
bazil4696
Bike Doctor

Bikes: Norco Cape Cod tandem, KHS Tandemania Cross, 1952 Claud Butler ladyback tandem, 1971 & '73 Raleigh Suberbes, 1985 Gazelle Sport Solide, 1985 Rossi professional

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 24 Posts
1952 Claud Butler Tandem

I have been an enthusiastic fan of vintage 3 speeds for a long time and have had many versions pass through my hands. Mostly Raleighs and their offspring, such as Eaton's Gliders, but I always thought I'd like to ride a "club" type bike, Reynolds 531 tubing, and a comfy Brooks saddle... However, I've had my '71 Superbe for years, and it has been fulfilling. For the last few years, I've been more focused on riding tandems, and spent time learning the ropes of all the quirks that come with that type of bike.
Last month, I found a 1952 Claud Butler on kijiji, and bought it. That seems like it covers the Reynolds 531, but goes a step further being fillet brazed, AND a tandem. Also, it's a ladyback tandem which suits my wife, who PROMISES to wear a skirt when riding it... lol
So, as I plan just where to start, I'm realizing that this old set of wheels is very original and very complete. So...no new paint job, just remove almost seventy yrs of crud, put air in the tires and RIDE!
Well, this NOVEL could go on forever, but first, PICS!

As purchased

Claud Butler Headbadge

Frame can be cleaned but these transfers are delicate

Cyclone three speed

Original solite hubs and 26 x 1 1/4 Dunlop rims

Original Resilion canteliver brakes
Likes For bazil4696: