View Single Post
Old 05-18-21, 05:09 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I have used the Park inflator a lot, we have them all over the shop and they are fine. The EVT of course is nicer and I would recommend that always but the Park inflator seems easier to use quickly but at home I would probably do EVT.

Prestacycle isn't that great but better than whatever knockoff crap Bezos is peddling.
I used the Prestaflator for years before I finally splurged and bought the Park INF-2 inflator, which I like a lot. The Park is a little big and clumsy for my personal aesthetics, but it does the job well. Its made of cast aluminum, which is most-likely cast pot-metal of some kind. Its heavy. No doubt, if I dropped it on the hard concrete floor of my shop, it would probably crack. If I dropped it on my toe, it would probably hurt like mad.

I've never tried the EVT, but I fail to see where a bunch of cobbed-together brass pipe fittings and a cheap gage is worth $170. The Park inflator is up there in price too. At $135 it will definitely put you info cheeseburger-deprivation mode.

I am sure that if given the chance to use the EVT, that I would like it. I just think its overpriced for what actually went into its construction and design. In the world of manufacturing, high prices are commanded from singular designs, which are then manufactured, not from items which are merely assembled from a selection of previously-manufactured components. With the exception of the inflator chuck, it would appear that after a trip to the hardware store, you could assemble your own EVT. Like I said, its not the unit itself that turns me off, its the price. For what you see there, it should be under $90, and that's just my personal opinion.

One tip that I like to pass along is this: If you get a new presta chuck of any kind, a quick shot of silicone spray into the chuck head will help ease it onto the valve. It just makes it easier to slip on and off.
Likes For J.Higgins: