Old 05-20-21, 06:19 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by boomhauer
This was my experience two years ago in Iowa. I would call but no one would give a definite answer or tell me to go ahead and make a reservation thru their internet system.
I went from the Missouri boarder to a Bluegrass festival in Stratford, Iowa in July then turned east to go to Wisconsin.
I didn't want to make any reservations for the usual reasons (not sure of the weather, etc...)
All of my concerns were way overblown. Yes, most of the sites were often taken but I always found a way to stay there.
Had more luck at city and county parks rather than state parks.
People in Iowa are used to RAGBRAI and are very welcoming of people on bicycles. You will see. There are not many better places to bicycle tour than Iowa as far as accommodations are concerned.
Keep in mind, that these are my opinions. I often sleep in odd ball places because they were available and easy and close to a food store or restaurants.
There are many small small towns that have RV sites with only 8 slots. I often slept in one of the slots and was the only person there. Keep your options open.
Thanks for the info boomhauer and mstateglf. We are nearing the start of our tour, can't wait! Iowa>Minnesota>Wisconsin>UP>Michigan
Likes For IPassGas: