Old 06-24-21, 06:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Have you negotiated a twisting road without using your hands to steer? I know people who can do it, but they are rare. Maybe livedarklions is one of them.

Based solely on my observation of a few thousand riders over 20 years or so, most people steer with their hands, most of the time.
And I'd say you really can't observe whether their hands are merely adjusting the bars to maintain balance while leaning or initiating the turn with their hands. Your assertion is that countersteering is the predominant method of turning, that isn't synonomous with the hands play some role in turning. Humans are not conscious of most of the thousands of microadjustments they make per minute whenever they're locomoting or even just standing. You're just assuming the hand microadjustments are countersteers.

FWIW, I was once quite adept at riding miles no hands, but alas, that is one skill that did not age well.