View Single Post
Old 07-07-21, 09:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,048 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
There are approx 2.6 million miles of paved roads in the US and about 1.5 million unpaved.

Source: Bureau of Transportation Statistics. US Department of Transportation.
My only question would be, what are they calling paved, where I grew up the roads were "paved" but really were just gravel and dirt with some oil laid down to tamp down the dust.

Originally Posted by Cpn_Dunsel
There are lots of unpaved roads that have substantial vehicle traffic. In many parts of the country gravel roads are the primary form of travel for all vehicles.

The notion that all off road gravel riding is free from cars and truck traffic and is therefore safe is just supercilious. Everything is location dependent. Either way, there are more paved roads than unpaved in the USA and in some places riding a bicycle on the Interstate is allowed and may be the safest passage.
Very true. When you live in a hilly area that's all 55 and the locals don't worry about getting caught speeding at 75, the shoulders are shallow and no one put down lines on the last layer of gravel, it isn't a very safe area to ride despite how few the cars might be. Might be less cars to get you but they also don't consider your being there or even consider you a real user.

Originally Posted by Whib
Went on my first gravel ride a couple days ago. I was on my hardtail MTB. Loved it! I promptly came home and signed up for a September gravel race, the Dirt Diggler 45.5 in Brevard, NC. I’m curious: will I be in the vast minority on my MTB?
I know I’ll be way slower than the normal gravelers, but I’m cool with that. Just looking for a fun event experience.
Possibly less of a minority then you think. Gravel rides/races do seem to be a little more ride what you got. Either way, go have fun, sounds like a good length for a fun time.