Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6362 Post(s)
Liked 4,961 Times in 3,415 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
You are changing the argument. You initially commented about unpredictable riders to which I asked how moving over is unpredictable and would change a driver’s perception. I am not talking about hugging a curb in a urban setting but rather on back roads or secondary roads when I usually ride in the worn part of the road and the car is passing regardless. This way it gives me a extra foot or two. I made other points which you failed to address potholes, choke points, ect. If a car is rapidly approaching I ride through the pothole or stop, if not I go around.

I engaged on this topic when the premise was put forward that riders do not change their riding behavior whether a car is approaching behind them. You see no value in the Varia however at the same time rely on your hearing to determine if a vehicle is approaching. If your behavior does not change if a vehicle is behind you why not listen to music or concern yourself if a car is approaching.

I have yet to encounter anyone who has used a Varia not see the value in having one.
I'm changing the argument? I didn't realize there was an argument per se. Just us stating what we do. Was I supposed to agree with you? I don't. It's not a problem for me for you to have another opinion on how to best look out for your safety. At least you think about it.

I'm not talking about an urban setting either. Varia generally isn't of much value when you are someplace where traffic is constantly approaching from behind. I'm talking about the country roads I ride on that aren't wide enough for two vehicles and a cyclist at the same time.

You said:
Normally I may not ride right on the curb however as a car approaches and gets close I will tuck in a bit closer how is that unpredictable and increases my risk?
That's not unpredictable. But, it does increase your risk in my opinion. Moving over to the edge of the road might be interpreted by the driver of a vehicle behind that you are telling him that it's a good time for them to pass. If this is on a curve or hill with traffic coming the other way that neither of you know about then something bad will likely happen.

Even if the driver behind doesn't interpret that as being told it's a good time to pass, then if they are a careless driver they might try to pass thinking that they can remain in the same lane even if there is oncoming traffic.

That actually has happened to me many times years ago. But since I started riding where cars and larger vehicles can't get by me in the same lane that doesn't happen. Though some stupidly pass on blind curves and have almost hit the oncoming car that appeared from nowhere.

I still don't really see why it needs to be known that there is a vehicle behind. It's not the lead vehicles responsibility to help them pass. A vehicle in front of another has privilege over those behind it. So until a vehicle behind you completes a pass safely, you have all the law on your side. Of course that doesn't help if you get run over in the process, but I can't identify stupid drivers until they actually do something stupid.

But for the last ten years, I've been riding about three feet off the edge of the road. If I see oncoming traffic I move more to the center of my lane. When the oncoming traffic passes. I move back to about three feet from the right edge. I might get hit one day, but I think I will be hit or injured sooner if I was to stay close to the edge and get pushed off the road because an oncoming car appeared and the passing car suddenly wanted their entire lane back. The edge of some of the country roads I ride is a steep sided ditch. So getting close to the edge leaves me no options or at least no good options.

As for Varia, I like what it does. However like mirrors, you generally have to be constantly looking at them unless your device makes a beep that you can hear. Mine doesn't, however I can hear my son's Varia notification go off when his device beeps. Another plus for the Edge 1030 over the Edge 530 I suppose.

And my son also uses the now discontinued head up display from Garmin that doesn't require him to look at the device to see the Varia notice. He can still keep his head up and eyes on the road in front watching where they are needed.

Realize that I'm not oblivious to traffic behind me. I turn my head when I move left of right and when I am going to turn. I look behind me when I need to. Mirrors and Varia are great things. I just don't need them. Road conditions and traffic in front of me is what needs most of my attention.