View Single Post
Old 08-28-21, 08:42 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Any thoughts on the Priority Current?

This post mentions the:
I currently have a homebuilt e-bike that I use for commuting most days. My commute is only about 2.5miles each way. No, I am not going to walk, I have a leg length discrepancy related to my cerebral palsy and walking just plain hurts (I use a walking stick, I refuse to call it a cane, at work).

I know I want a belt drive. I had one on a bike, that I had converted to a front hub e-bike. That bike is on a long term loan to my sister.

I also know I want an IGH. I had a NuVinci on the bike I have my sister. I have also updated the bike I currently use with a NuVinci. I also used a NuVinci for my Kansas to Utah "never plugin" ebike tour.

All done, the bike I am using is close to a class 2 e-bike. I do have a throttle, however, I only use it with strong headwinds, which are common in SW Kansas. The throttle seems to add about 2mph to the torque sensor. Without wind, the bike goes about 20-22 mph being pedalled. Aginst the wind, and using the throttle, I am at about 13-17mph.

I would like to be able to plan to ride at least 20mph in headwinds up to. . . say 25mph (they do get stronger on my commute, but I have to draw the line somewhere). On calm days I would like to be able to hit the rated 28mph. However, I have to keep in mind that I do not have a smooth cadence.

I am looking at the Serial 1 Speed and The Priority Current. I like:
  • The clean look
  • The belt drive
  • mid-drive
  • integrated lights (of course, that goes back to the clean look)
  • For the Serial 1 Speed is the HD branding, I suspect that it will be supported long after some of the pop-up e-bike brands are long gone.
  • Factory racks (of course, that goes back to the clean look)
  • factory fenders
  • Hydraulic brakes. I added them to the bike I gave my sister. I am now entirely sold on them.
  • Different frame sizes, The "one size fits all" approach of most bikes does not fit me at 5'6"
Concerns:
  • in e-bike terms, they both have a rather small battery
  • No throttle (getting home on the days that I am hurting, or when I want max power to fight the wind 35+mph is not uncommon.
  • I see reports that people are not able to get the Speed. . . well, up to speed. I am seeing the same about the Priority Current, but not as much.
  • When I had 27.5 Tyres on my commuter I was unable to find studded, road-oriented, tyres. At this point, there are some, but I am still concerned about availability.
I would also like to see:
  • matching pannier, it isn't a must-have, but I would like it for commuting and grocery store stops. However, I am fine with another set of Wald folding baskets.

My current bike:

The baskets are folding Wald baskets. They are heavy but durable. The motor is a TSDZ2. I have put a shorted stem on it to try to make it a bit more comfortable for a 5'6" rider. I have also put a NuVinci 380 on it. As you can see, I have also changed the wheel size to 26"

Ok, so what don't I like about what I have?
  • Just look at it. . .
  • I would much rather have belt drive
  • Its integrated lights never worked. I just use a set of Light & Motion lights and an L&M headlamp on my helmet.
  • It is a very high step to mount it (this is starting to annoy me).
. . . I have been using this one for about three years and I am just thinking that I want something different.

I know I posted something very similar on the Serial 1 forum. However, the Priority Current seems to check all the boxes and is a lot less expensive.

Last edited by Robert C; 08-28-21 at 08:47 AM.