Old 09-06-21, 05:45 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
For the sake of random information, the Drag Race ETs/MPH for my rides pictured above -

74 Camaro with 396+.060 (408inches) - 14.00 @ 110 spinning the tires through the first three gears... couldn't get traction with street tires and stick shift, so I ended up 'back-halfing' the car to install cage and narrowed rear frame, wheel tubs, etc.. ditched the 4-speed for a TH400 with a 4500 stall converter, and swapped-out the stock 10-bolt rear for a Ford 9" from one of my parted-out Cougars, filled it with a spool and 4.56s and a set of 13x31 slicks out back. First pass was a 11.31@119.5, on the second pass, it snapped an ear of the pinion yoke and spit out the driveshaft... Needed money to build my 6-car garage back in '87, so sold the Camaro, turn-key- and open trailer for $2800.

WIfe's bone-stock, 23k-original-miles '70 Mustang Mach 1 is 351C-4V/FMX auto and 3.25 gears. Best is 15.03 @ 93 on street tires and through stock exhaust.

'73 Cougars - both ran 14.40s @ 94 351C-4Vs, C-6 auto w/ stock 2700rpm CJ converter and 3.70 gears... (3.25 gears were stock) Both are sitting in the garage awaiting restoration...

'89 Crown Vic LX - an original 351W-VV (Variable Venturi 2-barrel carb). 190k miles and was leaking oil like the Exxon Valdez when I bought it, so a rebuild was in order. Found a stroker crank for cheaper than I could get my stock crank turned, so it became a emissions-legal (had to pass Ohio's tailpipe emissions testing) 393W with a very mild cam, 9.4:1 compression, catalysts, etc. Drove it for several years - even in Cleveland winters. I 'cheated' a bit when it became emissions- (age) exempt, so I dropped in a retrofit roller cam and 86'd the cats. Best ET was 13.06 @106.55 with a 2600 converter in the AOD and 3.55 rear gears, barking the drag radials at the shifts.... Trap speeds were about the same a cars running a full-second quicker, just a heavy car and not much converter/gearing made it 'slow' to get moving... Engine got tweaked again when one of the intake valve seats dropped out of one cylinder head and caused internal carnage. Since it is emissions-exempt, it got bored another .010 to clean up the nicks in the cylinder walls, and filled with 11.2:1 components, and MUCH better flowing aluminum heads. Dyno'd at 610hp now. Upgraded to a 3200 converter and upgraded the valvebody in the trans while the engine was out, and ditched the 1-5/8"-primary shorty headers / 2-1/4" H-pipe for 1-7/8 longtubes and 3" H-pipes back to the mufflers.... Track was closed last year due to Covid, so it hasn't been back out, but should turn mid 11s @ ~116mph with the increased power and after it lost almost 300 pounds - no more A/C, air pump, went electric water pump drive, electric fans, etc, got rid of heavy dual-power split bench seat (almost 220 pounds!) for a pair of lightweight Corbeau racing seats. .Changed from column-shift to floor shift... BTW, this is still a street car, and the 'contingency stickers' are on sheet magnet and stored in the trunk when not at the track... Kinda a fun 'sleeper'. People wonder where the exhaust rumble is coming from - they don't expect anything out of a stock-appearing Crown Vic and old gray-haired dude driving it.
Likes For Cougrrcj: