View Single Post
Old 09-08-21, 08:40 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,315 Times in 707 Posts
It is very curious how, on a bicycle enthusiasts forum, people seem afraid to wear bicycle specific clothing for fear of not fitting in with others off the bike. Brag up how hard one rides here, blend in as a non cyclist out there. It's as if the car-centric mindset has people worried about being seen as a "cyclist".

I don't care what anyone else wears but to read people post how proud they are that they don't/or have never worn cycling kit is kind of weird. I can't think of another sport where that happens.

Cycling kit only suggests one thing about me: I ride a bicycle and am doing something healthy. Not afraid to own that.

In Europe there seems to be a split between utility cycling (day to day use) in which people wear their daily clothes, and sport cycling in which people wear activity specific clothes. Lot's of people cycle there so I suspect there isn't much hoo haw about what you wear.

Cycling is much more a minority activity in NA and I sense there is that utility/sport split as well, but the lines in General cycling here are blurred with many in the first camp not wanting to be visibly associated with the second it seems.

Wear what you want but there shouldn't be any negative connotation on a bicycle forum regarding wearing bicycle specific clothing.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-08-21 at 01:29 PM.