View Single Post
Old 09-22-21, 10:12 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Oh, hell no. I even keep stuff that I don't think I ever will use but sometimes do. Case in point. A couple of weeks ago during a ride, I noticed my MTB headset (a 1" threaded - I know, a really, really old MTB from 1988) had some play. So once I got home, I tried to adjust it to take out the play. I fiddled with it for about an hour or so but every time I got the play out, it was binding really bad, and once I got it to turn freely, it had lots of play. Finally I realized that the top locknut threads were stripped. After thinking about where I was going to try to get a new 1" threaded headset from for a while, I realized that I had a 1" threaded headset in my old crashed Fuji frameset sitting in the corner of my basement. So I took the top nut off the Fuji headset and put it on my MTB and got it adjusted in about 5 minutes. About 20 years ago, I sawed out part of the Fuji's seattube to use as a support for the sagging shelf on top of my homebuilt basement workbench. I only rode that Fuji for about 3 years before the frame was bent beyond repair in a crash. But I still get use out of it.

Last edited by Gonzo Bob; 09-22-21 at 10:18 PM.
Likes For Gonzo Bob: