View Single Post
Old 09-30-21, 06:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3523 Post(s)
Liked 1,500 Times in 1,172 Posts
Zinn knows more about frames than I ever will. I refer to a column he wrote a few years ago about frame materials. He does not have a favorable opinion on aluminum frame longevity.
https://www.velonews.com/gear/techni...nkarm-fatigue/

A friend of mine cracked his fork steerer tube. I think it was an aluminum fork, not steel, but I can't say that with certainty. He also cracked his helmet. This was on a bike that he had ridden cross country three times, twice with fully loaded bike (with four panniers) and a third trip was van supported. He cracked it on a ACA van supported Pacific Coast ride from Canada to Mexico.

I took the photo below of his bike when he was doing a test ride for his third cross country ride, this was before he broke his fork in half. He always used the rain covers, even on nice days.

Before you say anything about his saddle, he was trying that out on our five day shakedown tour, he ditched the saddle when he got home. One of his brifters quit working shortly before this short shakedown tour, he was trying out his new bar end shifters, new dynohub wheel and new Luxos U headlamp. Lots of new stuff on this bike.

He also crashed on a supported trip in Ireland, his foot fell off the pedal when he hit a bump, he woke up in the hospital, cracked another helmet. When he got home, he had his bike inspected by a carbon frame engineer, he had a lot of cracks in the downtube, his carbon frame went into the dumpster after that.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
As I've noted previously, my bike broke on the first day of my tour. The drive-side dropout (part of the steel frame) broke. ...
A few years later, I figured out I'd put a 135 rear wheel into a 130 frame, without spreading the frame, which might have caused the breakage.
That should not have caused the breakage.

I run a 135mm hub on my rando bike, before I ordered the frame I talked to the company (Velo Orange) about using a 135mm hub in their 130mm steel frame (rim brake version Pass Hunter). Their only concern was the inconvenience of stretching the stays with both hands when I drop the rear wheel in.