Old 10-02-21, 10:17 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 670 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
I have Rene Herse Barlow Pass tires on my Cannondale T900. Bike has original rims that came stock with 38s, but the clearances with the Barlow Pass tires are extremely tight (at the chain stays)- I get 42mm with my calipers on the tires inflated to 50psi. I run them with tubes, and getting the tires seated was an absolute b**ch... Massaging, soaping, doubled rim tape, hard and fast (over) inflating.... it was not fun. Note, it wasn't the mounting them that was the issue- that was really easy- it was getting them to seat properly (I kind of dread getting a flat on the road and having to get them properly seated again..). Possibly due to the rims, though they're within the specs RH calls for. I doubt it has anything at all to do with running tubes. But all that said, the ride is fantastic..
I had this sort of difficulty with the 26er RTP from RH. Enough that, despite riding great, when I wore them out I switched to other tires: Continental Race King and Speed King. Both are easily 1000 times easier to install and remove. And the Speed King loses nothing to the RTP on speed and rolling resistance and the Race King is nearly the same, but noisy on the paved surfaces.

In the 700C world, I’d be looking to try the new Conti Terra Speed or Terra Trail if I could find them. YMMV.

Otto