Thread: rootboy
View Single Post
Old 11-04-21, 05:35 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Scott Gabriel, known here as rootboy, died last May. I just got the news and thought it fitting to share a couple memories here. Scott was a talented, modest, and generous man. He contributed his insights and advice on this forum, especially on the subjects of fabrication and Motobecanes.

His skills in making beautiful objects by hand and his sense of design were impressive. He sewed leather seat bags with a finish that rivaled the finest leather camera cases of the past. On the lathe he turned aluminum handlebar plugs with painted concentric grooves in the ends. For several years he made tire scrapers (flint catchers) which he sold to René Herse and other retailers.

A little over a year ago I posted on this forum that I was looking for a derailleur cage stop pin for a Campagnolo Record derailleur. I soon learned that these are few and far between. Scott contacted me to let me know that he had made two of these out of stainless steel and would happily send me one. It's the piece in the photo below that looks a lot like a chess pawn.

Scott knew that I am a trout fisherman and surprised me by including in the package a couple dozen of the most beautifully tied trout flies I have ever owned, made by him of course.

Perhaps some of you with memories of Scott or who have any of Scott's other creations could share them here.

Brent
He sold me a couple custom pieces he made. I had not realized that I had not seen any of his posts in a while.

thanks for posting.