Old 11-09-21, 07:43 AM
Bicicletta89

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
New derailleur for vintage Fuji. New chain too?

Hi, all. I have a 1970s Fuji Gran Tourer. The other week I got a tune-up at my LBS. It did wonders for my bike.

The owner also recommended swapping in a used but more modern Shimano rear derailleur (photo included) for the original Suntour VX. Shifting definitely seems smoother now; I also feel like there is less resistance in the drivetrain perhaps? But I also wonder if this is due to everything being freshly oiled and lubed, or even due to the psychological factor?

He also offered to sell me a used Shimano HG71 chain for $45. I held off on this since I'm on a budget. Is this a good recommendation? A good price? My current chain seems pretty old. It was on the bike when I bought it a year and a half ago, but I don't know its history before that. Should I get a new chain, and if so should I buy the HG71 from the LBS owner or go with something else?

I read a lot of folks saying to replace freewheels and chains at the same time. My 6-speed freewheel doesn't seem to have much noticeable wear (picture included). The chainring has a few chipped teeth, but it works fine and I'd like to keep it since it has the Fuji-branded cranks.

My chain has never skipped or had any functional problems. I'm just wondering what would get me the best performance and also don't want to keep using a too-old chain if that's going to mess up other parts of the drivetrain. For all I know the current chain may be fine, though.

In short:
Is the rear derailleur my LBS installed a good choice? (I kept my old Suntour as a backup or in case I ever want to switch back.) Was upgrading the right call and was this Shimano one the right call? What, if anything, should I do about the chain and/or freewheel? Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

1970s Fuji Gran Tourer.

I prefer to keep this chainring as long as possible because I love the Fuji cranks, which don't separate from the ring. Also stayed with the original front derailleur because it looks nice and works well.

Used Shimano rear derailleur that LBS installed.

Freewheel cogs look fine to me, but I'm not an expert.