View Single Post
Old 11-18-21, 02:19 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Started commuting as an adult in 2013 to lose weight, and then after getting somewhat fit and losing 60 lbs, from 2014-2018 I too used to ride almost exclusively for the purpose of chasing PR's (both times and distance) and was ALWAYS trying to ascend every Strava segment leaderboard I could, on EVERY single ride, constantly pushing the limits of my new found (superhero level to me) fitness. Single, double imperial centuries, 1,000+ watt sprints, 13,500' in 111 miles (D2R2, ) 24hr rides, 400km brevets, Mt Evans, etc... all I wanted to do was get better and chase numbers. It consumed me and it felt great succeeding and becoming healthier/fitter than I ever imagined was possible.

Then incurable (but manageable) Stage 4 Lung, Lymph, Spine Cancer got me in late 2019, in the ICU with a collapsed lung due to the tumors pushing it closed, wondering if I'd even make it, let alone ride again. Luckily I had the type that was treatable with a pill, and in the Spring of 2020 I took my first rides again. PR's, speed, distance, and leaderboards were the absolute furthest thing from my mind. All I cared about was that I was BACK ON THE BIKE!!! and those first rides were so unbelievably bittersweet. That year I recovered enough to get ~3,000 miles in, including a century with my 27 yr old son, and a ride up Mt Evans from Echo Lake. Then in Jan of 2020 it decided to metastasize to the brain, which was treated in Feb, more found up there and treated again in May, which were big setbacks in my winter/spring training, but now in 2021 I've been able to get in 2,500 miles so far (and maybe 3,000 before the years over), including a 6,500' imperial century in Denver.

Now when I go out, I'm no longer riding to chase numbers, I'm out there because I realized I just enjoy riding and challenging my current self no matter what speed I'm going, and no matter what my power meter is telling me. Just as long as I'm out there, I'm as happy as I ever was chasing numbers or leaderboards.

My motivation is simply: the more I do this thing now, the more I'll be able to do it when the **** ultimately hits the fan again.

Last edited by Riveting; 11-22-21 at 11:55 AM.
Likes For Riveting: