View Single Post
Old 11-29-21, 02:40 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by dddd
That sounds close enough to what happened in my brother's detached garage, where a thief broke in carrying a big duffel bag, but then put down the bag and took only a weathered, black, garage-sale Japanese Bianchi, leaving his empty satchel behind.

What cracked us up was that the garage had several thousands of dollars of high quality automotive tools inside, conspicuously resting in two large rollaway cabinets.
...while the Bianchi was one that he had picked up for $60 and had me put some old STI levers onto. And it was rather small for him, so almost never used in recent years.
Similar thing happened to me, in the 2000s when we lived in the city proper. My wife had a new Trek hybrid that she barely used, I had a 15-year-old, beat to heck low-end Schwinn mountain bike that I used every day for commuting. Her bike was stored in the garage leaning against the wall, and mine hung right over it on hooks, because space was at a premium and I didn’t mind lifting my bike up and down off hooks every day. So, one night some dumbazz broke into our garage and either a) assumed the bike up on hooks was the more valuable one, or b) didn’t realize the difference in value between the two and opted for the men’s style mountain bike instead of the women’s hybrid. He then proceeded to move my wife’s new $500 bike safely out of the way so he take my bottom-of-the-barrel worthless Schwinn instead. He rode the Schwinn maybe 3 houses down the alley before realizing what an utter garbage ride it was, and just dumped it on the pavement and ran off. I found it still sitting there in the alley the next day. Seems not even the garbage pickers or scrap metal guys wanted it either…