View Single Post
Old 12-15-21, 08:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3216 Post(s)
Liked 1,756 Times in 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
On the gravel that goes on MTB trails, it is 1x11 (XC setup) because 2x would not work; when I climb a narrow (1.5m wide) rocky hill that keep changing inclines and can go from grippy to slippy, I don't really have to time to go through a closed ratio cassette and a chainring swap...
There is, of course, no reason a 2x cassette needs be any different to a 1x cassette.

It may be better to have more or less closely spaced gear ratios for a particular user in a particular circumstance, but no gearing system is going to be optimized for every possible rider and circumstance. We can either provide more gearing options to cover more possibilities, or narrow the intended use range and gear for a more specific conditions.

Originally Posted by Fentuz
if the OP needs are XC baised, 1x11/1x12 is definitely better
That’s the question. Why? Why is 1x “definitely better”? It seems like your main point is that you “don’t have time” to shift a front derailleur??

It’s hard to imagine that’s always true, but I dunno how or where you ride, but it does raise the question why not ride an MTB…or is a drop bar MTB a gravel bike?

It’s all just a matter of definitions and particular user needs (i.e. how and where they want to ride), it’s not at all a matter of 1x or 2x being intrinsically better, something I think we are in agreement on.

For me, as a heavy but strong rider on rolling terrain, I see huge swings in speed constantly, and want to have as finely tuned gearing as possible so I can optimize my output for the competitive, fast group riding I do. It’s mostly on dirt roads, followed by pavement, with only occasional, small sections of track or trail. My fitness, as well as surface conditions, swings seasonally, so in winter and spring I want lower gearing than that which I’ll be using on the same rides in mid-summer. Given my needs and abilities, only 2x gives me the gear range to work whenever I want to.

Every rider needs to make that sort of assessment in order to determine what kind of drivetrain layout is best for them.