Old 12-15-21, 10:42 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
Okay gang, someone explain the benefits of 1x over 2x, please.
I figure - 2x means closer ratios between gears and twice as many options.
No front derailleur = less weight, but most of us wouldn't miss those 28 paperclips anyway. 1x means the gear spread from gear to gear is farther apart. You have fewer options.
What am I missing? This isn't a troll thread, I'm sincerely asking. I'm sure I'm missing something in order to understand why this is a "thing", but I don't know what it is.
TIA,
Gary
I think you got it above. It was "invented" for MTB because it freed up frame design options.
downsides: More wear and tear on chain/chainring/cassette, bigger jumps between gears, you REALLY need a clutch on that derailleur.
The biggest benefit (thanks MSU) is probably that you can use wider tires. With a road Q factor and 2x, you really can't go beyond 40mm (38mm to be ISO compliant). You can also use a narrow/wide chain ring to help keep that chain on.

But the debated downsides are often trivial. Realistically,

1x is
  • just easier mentally for a newbie.
  • good for people who ride solo or casual group rides (where cadence/speed isn't critical)
2x is
  • Good for people who REALLY care about their cadence
  • Good for people who do fast group rides (where you can't easily choose your cadence and speed).

just a clarification -2x doesn't have twice as many gears. It roughly has 30-40% more as there is a lot of overlap.
(as noted above, 2x can be lighter - mine is).
Likes For chas58: